PRO HORNET RULES
1. This is a stock, unmodified, front or rear wheel drive 4 cylinder class
2. Absolutely NO modifications or enhancements other than what is specified by these rules will be allowed
3. In certain rare circumstances where deviations from the rules do not give the car any advantage and may be more economical or practical, you may apply in writing for a waiver asking for an exemption.
4. This must be submitted to the designated track officials and approved before you compete
1. Any front or rear wheel drive car, minimum of 10 years old, with a wheelbase of 92” to 107”
2. Factory OEM for make, model, and year with stock 4 cylinder engine.
3. Body, frame, floor pans must be complete and unmodified, except where rules allow trimming
4. All doors must be welded, chained, or bolted shut
5. Hood and trunk must be secured with two or more hood pins
6. All glass (head, tail, and marker lights) except windshield, must be removed
7. You may replace the windshield with lexan
8. Lexan windshield requires a center brace
9. Plastic, trim, and items that could break, burn, or fall off, must be removed in and outside the car
10. Skirts, front air dam, and a 3” max height rear spoiler may be installed for cosmetic purposes only
11. You may relocate the battery. If in driver’s compartment, must be covered with a marine case or similar
12. Battery must have steel to steel tie downs
13. Anything that can be unbolted (hinges, brackets, etc) may be removed
14. You may skin the hood
15. Can run aftermarket nose cover over original stock bumper
16. 1” maximum square tubing “rub rails” allowed between front and rear wheel wells. Ends must be chamfered and capped (no sharp edges)
CAR TYPE MOTOR (LITER) Minimum Weight (LBS.)
1. NEON SOHC 2.0 2400
2. NEON DOHC 2.0 2450
3. ESCORT GT 1.8 2350
4. FORD PROBE 2.0 2300
5. EAGLE TALON 2.0 2450
6. INTEGRA 1.8 2400
7. PRELUDE VTEC 2.2 2800
8. NISSAN SENTRA 2.0 2450
9. NISSAN SENTRA 2.5 2900
10. HONDA CRX 1.6 1850
11.BASE WEIGHT FOR ANY OTHER TYPE OF CAR WILL BE 2400 LBS. THIS WILL BE ADJUSTED AFTER THE FIRST WEEK OF YOUR COMPETING AT TOMAH SPARTA RACEWAY
12. MULTIPLE FEATURE WINS WILL ADD 50 LBS. TO HIS SPEC WEIGHT FOR THE NEXT WEEK HE/SHE COMPETES. DRIVER & CAR MUST RACE WITH PENALTY FOR 2 WEEKS, IF HAVEN’T WON DURING THAT TIME, WEIGHT PENALTY IS DELETED. IF WINS AGAIN DURING THAT TIME ANOTHER 50 LBS. WILL BE ADDED, ETC.
13. All weights include driver
14. All weights will be securely bolted (2 bolts (1/2” diameter) per piece minimum, with large washers or sandwich plates) to frame or cage, be painted white, and have car number on it
15. Weight for all cars will be 57% front-45% right side minimums of total weight of car w/driver
1. Must remain stock for make, model, and year.
2. The only optional exceptions are as follows:
a. You may run camber on the front and rear wheels, no limit.
b. You may heat or cut springs to lower the car. Except for exhaust components, minimum ground clearance is 4 1/4” for any part, after the race
c. You may use any steel spring that fits in the stock location.
d. Suspension must move up and down in a conventional manner (cannot be solid)
e. Spring rubbers, clamps or threaded collars on springs not allowed
f. Sway bar links must be of equal length side to side, or disconnected
g. No adjustments to rear toe or wheelbase
h. Coil-overs are allowed all around
TIRES and WHEELS
1. New street tires that cost $75 MSRP or less each, (we check national internet sites to verify price) or track tire
a. Doral SDL60 185/60R14 $56.70
b. Doral SDL60 195/60R14 $61.50
c. Doral SDL70 195/70R14 $60.60
d. Hankook Optimo H418 185/65R14 $66.10
2. Tomah Sparta Raceway reserves the right to disallow any tire that we feel resembles a performance type tire. If in doubt, call for approval of a tire prior to purchase.
3. Track may claim any tire at any time for $60-no questions asked
4. You may trim around the wheel wells for tire clearance
5. Wheels must be steel, max 7” wide, all four the same diameter (no aluminum or magnesium)
6. You may run an aftermarket heavy-duty wheel, minimum numerical backspace of 3 ” (example: 3”,4”, 4 1/2”, 5” allowed, 2 1/2", 2” not allowed). Wheels of 3” backspacing will not be allowed to use wheel spacers. All other wheels will be allowed to use wheel spacers up to 1/2” thick. Backspacing is not offset!!
7. 1” lug nuts are required on the right wheels, it’s encouraged to use them on all four
8. Lug nut threads must be visible on outside of lug nuts
1. Minimum four points around the driver 1 3/4” diameter .090” wall, mild steel. No exhaust tubing or water pipe. Minimum total of six point cage required.
2. Roll cage must be sufficiently welded to floor/rocker box, or welded to sandwich plate bolted to floor
3. Top of roll cage must be reinforced to the rear with two bars, either to spring towers or rear frame
4. Spring towers may be connected side to side, at both front and rear suspension.
5. Main roll bar behind driver must contain a diagonal bar
6. Minimum of 3 door bars, driver side and passenger side
7. Driver side door bars must be covered with steel deflector plate, 1/8” min. thickness
8. Minimum of 5 side to side bars:
a. top of main hoop,
b. bottom of main hoop about 4” above floor
c. middle of main hoop directly behind seat
d. top front of cage by windshield, and
e. at front of cage at dash height
9. No bars through the front firewall, except recommended foot protection bar.
10. The cage must protect the driver and will be thoroughly inspected for safety
11. Use good common sense; consult persons experienced in building and welding
12. Safety padding will be installed around driver (door bars and roll cage bars)
13. You may skin door panels for installing roll cage
1. Window Nets Mandatory with seat belt style release at front top cage upright
2. Fire Suits, racing gloves, & eye protection mandatory
3. Ignition Kill Switch-Mandatory in center of car, MUST BE LABELLED
4. Helmet-Snell SA-2005 (SFI 31.1 2005) or newer. Snell “M” helmets not allowed.
5. Fire Extinguisher Mandatory, securely mounted within driver’s reach, fully charged, dial type
6. Tow Hooks: A secure towing device (hook, chain, cable, etc) MUST be in place both front and rear, securely fastened, labeled and/or painted bright color, and located so as not to present a hazard in the event of contact
7. Paint and Numbers
a. No spray bomb numbers
b. Numbers must be neat appearing and at least 18” high on both doors and on roof readable from right side. Numbers must be in contrasting color to that of body color.
c. If your number is a duplicate, officials may assign an initial to your number
8. 3” minimum width lap and shoulder harness, dated 2008 or newer. Crotch strap required.
9. Belts must be anchored to roll cage or OEM anchors. Belt anchors must swivel. Grade 5 hardware required.
10. Shoulder harness must not be anchored lower than 2” below driver’s shoulder height
11. Aluminum racing seat required, securely fastened to cage or frame
12. Head rest support behind seat required
13. Shoulder supports and head supports on right and left sides of seat recommended
14. Drivers compartment must be sealed off from engine compartment and fuel container
15. Access to driver from right side by emergency personnel required
16. Tomah Sparta Raceway officials will monitor items related to safety, but ultimately it is the responsibility of the driver to monitor, maintain, and update his safety equipment.
1. Must lock all four wheels
2. No aftermarket proportioners
3. Stock Brakes
4. No drilling
5. Stock components only
1. Stock fuel tank located in front of rear wheels can be left there but must be secured with two extra metal straps
2. All other fuel tanks must be mounted in the trunk area between the rear wheels as far forward as possible
3. Tanks must be fastened with steel straps, bolts, and oversized washers
4. A complete steel firewall must be between the tank and the driver’s compartment. If car came as a hatchback style, and fuel cell is in rear trunk area, a firewall will have to be built into car. If questions ask Tomah Sparta Raceway officials.
5. Fuel cells are recommended, 8 gallon maximum, and must be mounted on top of floor pan
1. Exhaust must run under the car, at least to behind the driver’s seat
2. No flex pipe
3. Effective muffler required, visible exhaust must have a turn down
4. No dual exhaust
5. Headers are allowed
You may replace or modify the steering column to accommodate a removable wheel
1. Strictly stock for make, models, and year 4 cylinder SOHC or DOHC engines (no turbos or superchargers)
2. Ecm reprogramming and performance chips allow.
3. Cold air intake are allowed
4. You may remove unnecessary parts and wiring (A/C compressors, smog pumps, etc)
1. Safety is the number one concern. If you have questions about cages, seats, fuel cells, etc. please ask Tomah Sparta Raceway officials – we are here to help.
2. Anything whether spelled out in the rules or not, that may pose a threat to injure or cause damage will be required to be corrected
3. This class will not allow manipulating the rules to your advantage
4. Stock is stock
5. No two-way radios, one way “RACEceivers” required
6.Cars will present a favorable image meaning dents should be pulled and paint retouched week to week.
7. We all should strive to present a true image of sportsmanship-behave and drive accordingly
8.This is not an “anything goes” demolition style class.
9.Drivers wishing to return to this division after competing at a high level in a “higher” division will not be allowed. You may however contact the Tomah Sparta Raceway promoter to plead your case prior to season or race event.
10. Team driving will be allowed, maximum of two drivers and one car per team. Championship points will be awarded to this team using the same rules as for individual driver cars. Teams wishing to do this must register as such with the promoter before the first night of the racing season. Each driver must race a minimum of three nights.
11. Championship points will be awarded per your finishing position. If drivers are disqualified, drivers behind them do not advance.
1. All cars are subject to inspection ANYTIME before, during, or after a race
2. Officials reserve the right to disqualify cars, require changes, confiscate illegal parts etc. The decision of the officials is final, and will be based upon fair play, safety, and to protect the “Spirit of Stock Car Racing”.
3. Any interference with any official(s) and his/her duties will result in an automatic disqualification, and/or possible suspension.
4. Official’s decisions will be based upon fair play, safety, and to protect the “Spirit of Stock Car Racing”
5. Disqualification (except weight violation) is retroactive to ALL previous events competed in that race meet
6. Non-compliance with the specifications outlined here will subject the participants (owner/driver) to disqualification
7. Any driver/owner refusing to allow the track officials to inspect a car will lose points and money earned and will have the subject car impounded until inspection is performed with crew chief and driver present
8. Owner/driver must provide tools.
END OF PRO HORNET RULE SECTION